Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Nonexistent Free Will


Free will. This is something that I'd like to assume I have, but after reading Never Let Me Go, and critically thinking about free will in my own life, I have come to the conclusion that free will (unless you do not mind consequences such as jail) does not exist.


From birth, we are taught that we can do whatever we want to in life, and that we should follow our dreams because the world is our playground. After our existential unit, though, I do not believe that this is entirely true. I do believe that we can do what we want to in life, and that the world can be our playground, but the fact is that there are always consequences to our actions. We are all bound by the rules and laws of the government, our parents, and even our school. They all say what we can and cannot do and though they might not always be able to stop us, they scare us by threatening us with grounding, detention, suspension, or jail time.


It's true that I can do whatever I want, because my life is my life. The problem, is that if I do care about going to jail and the consequences of my actions, then I don't have free will. I can't just go steal jewelry from somebody's house or kill someone (not that I want to) because the law of the government forbids it. So when we really think about it, we don't have complete free will, that does not exist. I do have the free will to choose to be a good person, to follow my dreams and goals, and to choose other things in life like the right college, but 100% free will does not and will never exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment