Sunday, September 20, 2009

Fate


"It is not what fate has in store for us that matters, but what we do with it when it comes." - Paul Roche.

This line by Paul Roche is perhaps that one line that has stuck with me since I read it and will continue to be stuck in my head for awhile. We talked a lot about fate this week in Lit class, but there are so many different interpretations of what it is and how it works, that it's impossible to have one clear, straight answer. What is fate? How does it work? Can you change your fate? No one can answer these questions and be completely 100% correct. Everyone has different interpretations of what fate actually is.

I believe fate to be someone's destiny. I think that fate can either hit you at one point or can be a buildup of things over your lifetime. I also think that even if people think they can change their fate, that their fate WAS to change their fate (if that makes sense). Fate can be a good thing, a bad thing, or a combination of the two depending on someone's situation.

I do believe in fate. Last weekend my mom and her five sister's came to my house to split up my nana's jewlery... she had a lot. The one thing they couldn't decide on who would get, was my papa's (grandfather's) wedding ring. They put all their names in a bag and I had to pick who would get it. I ended up picking my aunt Libby's name. She has three boys, the oldest of which is sentimental, and when he found out he got the wedding ring, he was very emotional. The point of me telling you this story is that I believe that I was meant to pick my aunt Libby's name. If there was anyone in the family who I think should have gotten the wedding ring, it would be my cousin Frankie (the one who ended up with it).

I do believe things are meant to happen and you can't really change that. People need to embrace their fate instead of fear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment